Virtus Program at St. John Vianney Church
The Catholic Church, the Diocese of Cleveland and St. John Vianney Church hold the protection of children as one of their highest priorities. To this end, the Diocese of Cleveland adopted a Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse in 2003 and updated it in 2016. This policy requires that education and training in the recognition and prevention of sexual abuse towards minor children be given to all Diocesan employees and to all volunteers who come in regular contact with children. This program is titled VIRTUS.
St. John Vianney Church and All Saints School fully support and participate in this program.
Reports of suspected child sexual abuse should be made to the public children services agency (PCSA) or a municipal police department or the county sheriff where the child resides or where the sexual abuse is believed to have occurred.
Everyone volunteering in a ministry program at St. John Vianney that involves regular contact with minor children must complete the following VIRTUS requirements. Your program coordinator will let you know if VIRTUS compliance is needed.
Virtus Live Trainings offered by St. John Vianney Parish on
Monday, August 15th from 6:00-9:00 pm in the John Paul II Room
the second session will be on Sunday, August 28th from 4:00-5:30 pm in the Social Center.
Space is limited for both sessions and registration on the Virtus website is required.
1. Complete the application form. Print and drop off the St. John Vianney Parish/School Volunteer Application or fill out and submit the Online Volunteer Application.
2. Go to virtus.org and set up an account on the virtus website.
3. Attend a live VIRTUS training session and read a minimum of 24 follow-up bulletins. To register for a VIRTUS training session, sign up on the web at www.virtus.org. After completing the training, a link to a bulletin will be emailed from your VIRTUS account each month for you to read.
4. Register for your background check while you are on the virtus.org website. Links to the secure website at Selection.com can be found under the Toolbox tab.
5. Read the booklet: Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse: Revised, 2016 and then electronically sign and submit the Policy Acknowledgment Form.
The Volunteer Application should be returned to the Parish Office.